Dizzy illustrated by Sean Qualls Scholastic (Arthur A. Levine Books), 2006
Kirkus Best Book of 2006 School Library Journal Best Book of the Year Booklist Editors’ Choice Horn Book Magazine Fanfare Book BCCB Blue Ribbon Book Child Magazine Best Book CBC Choices 2007 Chicago Public Library’s List of “Children’s Books for Year-Round Giving” Society of Illustrators Original Art Show selection ALA Notable Book 2008 Norman A. Sugarman Children’s Biography Award Honor Book
FIVE STARRED REVIEWS...!
* “A delightful story…. Winter’s lively writing pops with energy and begs to be read aloud.” (School Library Journal, starred review)
* “The syncopated rhythms of bebop form the backbeat to this introduction to Dizzy Gillespie…. The text breaks into ecstatic scat…, priceless.” (Kirkus Reviews, starred review) Read the review.>
* “Energetic… freewheeling verse peppered with rogue rhythms…. Youngsters who can’t tell swing from bebop will nonetheless embrace Winter’s energetic take on Dizzy Gillespie.” (The Bulletin for the Center of Children’s Books, starred review)
* “The story catches the excitement of the city…, meshing it with the trumpeter’s crazy personality….” (Booklist, starred review) Read the review.>
* “A winning volume…, trips off the tongue.” (Publisher’s Weekly, starred review) Read the review.>